Contact us

Places to visit

The Apiculture Museum This is a favourite place in the Aukštaitija National Park. The museum was established in 1984. Its staff will tell about the beekeeping history in Lithuania from ancient times until today. One bee family lives in the sculpture of Bee God Bubilas. You can taste the honey they have collected. Just remember that it takes a whole day for 200 bees to gather just one spoon of honey.

Ladakalnis Hill is 176 m high. It is a part of Šiliniškės Ridge, which spreads far to both north-west and south-east like a dragon's spine. Long ago this hill served as the site of pagan sacrifices to the Goddess Lada – the Great Mother who gave the birth to the world. An excellent panoramic view is opened from the top of Ladakalnis, where one can try counting 6 lakes. Ladakalnis is designated as a geomorphologic nature monument.

Ginučiai castle mound This archaeological monument from the 9th-12th centuries may be the site of the castle which stood there, described in the Livonia Chronicles as the Linkmenys Castle by H.Vartberge in 1373. The stone on the top of the mound marks the visit of the president of Lithuania, Antanas Smetona, in 1934.

Ginučiai Water-millThere are six water-mills in the park today: Minčia, Ginučiai, Pakretuonė, Pakasas, Gaveikėnai and Brukninė. Ginučiai mill is the only water-mill in the park with preserved original equipment. The Water-mill operated until 1968, producing not just flour but also electricity for Ginučiai village. National Park Authority restored the water-mill building in 1978. Today it is a technical monument of the 19th century. The display on the top floor tells about the way that bread passes to our table. Former miller's apartments were turned into accommodation for visitors who may find visits of the devil living in the Ginučiai Water-mill.

Wooden carvings Sixteen wooden sculptures stand on the Lake Lūšiai shore near Meironys Village. A group of folk artists carved them in 1977. Sculptures are dedicated to the natural beauty and legends of the Ignalina region. One of them warns young men not to go swimming after the midnight, because pixies will drown them or tickle them until death ("Laumių pasaka" by P.Petronis). Several sculptures were inspired by stories about devils. Older people say that one of them lives nearby in Lake Tarama.

Botanical Trail Aukštaitija National Park is one of the richest protected areas in Lithuania from the floristic point of view. Everyone who is interested in all kinds of plants is welcome to the Botanical trail. It circles near Lake Lūšiai between Palūšė and Meironys village. The trail is about 3,5-km long and is marked with a special sign – white square with green diagonal. More than 150 plant species are presented on this trail; nine of which are included on the Lithuanian Red List.

Palūšė wooden church and the bell tower This church was built in 1750. Rev. Juozapas Baziliauskas built it on his own land, which he inherited from his parents. He named it St. Joseph's Church. The only tool used during the construction was an axe. The octagonal bell-tower looks like the traditional Lithuanian castle tower. It is a very unique one. The wooden church and the bell tower are protected as an architectural monument.

Nature monuments At this time 26 nature monuments are recorded in the park, but only most interesting ones are described here. Trainiškis Oak grows in the Trainiškis village at Lake Baluošas. This oak is 6,1m wide, 23 m high and 800 years old. Once it was reputedly the site of pagan sacrifices. Puziniškis Oak appears on the high hill in the Puziniškis village. It is a perfect view point, well worth a visit. The group of 14 junipers grows in the Obelų Horn at Lake Žeimenis. The highest is about 12 m. Literature says that juniper trees can grow 15 m high and 2000 years old. An entire juniper wood stands at Lake Baluošas near Šuminai. Pabaluošė Juniper-wood is one of the largest in Lithuania with a total area of 4 ha.